Thursday, December 21, 2006

Trying to be a Cook

Being an engineer, I have no problem analyzing equations as long as I know enough about the theories behind those equations. I have no worries about solving a problem as long as the problem doesn't involve naked women. When naked women are involved, I am as much an engineer as President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo is a basketball player.

As we all know, men generally do not know how to cook. Except, of course, the occasional male who is either gay or is a professional cook.

We all know that there are professional cooks who are males. A non-professional, male cook, however, is a rare breed. A professional engineer who knows how to cook is an even rarer breed.

Take me for, example.

I know nothing about the difference between saute and fry. If you tell me to saute something, I'll end up frying it. My knowledge about slicing things is more than limited. It's negligible. If you tell me to dice some carrots, you'll end up with sliced carrots of varying sizes.

To tell you the truth, being an engineer, with all the measurement and computational skills that a top Philippine university honed, does not help in the kitchen. Even if I try my best to slice those pesky potatoes as uniformly as possible, I always end up with slices of potatoes that look like they just made a side trip to the meat grinder.

This is because men, generally, do not belong in the kitchen. There are certain skills or genetic characteristics needed in the kitchen that women have a monopoly of.

Take women's hands for example. A female hand is soft and thin as compared to a male hand that is rough, thick, and, for some, stubby. This can be a hindrance for males especially when trying to clean the innards of a fish, for example. A female can just put her finger in through the stomach and deftly pull out the insides of the fish. If a male tries to insert his thick, stubby fingers inside the fish, you'll be having fish filet for dinner.

Of course, I may be generalizing too much here. I once had a female classmate back in high school that has fingers the size of my legs. It's not pretty, I'm telling you.

I know I have a point here when I started this entry.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am from Simple Life of YP and I am interested to do a link exchange with your blog.

If you are interested, add my link to your blog and reply me at my blog. I will surely add you as soon as possible. May the partnership will bring us more coverage for our blogs.

I am sincere and this should not be treated as a spam but just ignore it if you think it is. :-(